Home

The last week in Haiti was super hectic but awesome. Saying goodbyes sucks, regardless of the situaation. A harsh reality for leaving is that when I go back, some of my friends won't be there. The group was amazing, just constantly going and serving. I told all the bracelet bandits that I was leaving that Saturday morning. A few hours later, I went out into the town and several of them were outside with bracelets for me and my family, I have no idea how they remembered my parents names and spelled them correctly.
Cholera went crazy my last week. Three hundred patients in one day, at one hospital. La Point's whole water system contaminated. Cholera just doesn't go away, there's actually no way to get rid of it completely, until development happens. One day, we went and set up big army tents and cots so that all the patients could be moved into a separate area and the hospital could reopen for it's normal operations. There were about 300 cots that had to the assembled, gravel that had to be shoveled, and 8 tents that had to be set up. I've never seen a community come together that way. We got to work alongside Haitians, as they fought for their own. Some of the nurses went into the clinic area and were just thrown right in. After a few days, things stabilized and patients were relocated into better facilities. If there's one thing I won't forget from that day, it's the face of a broken man. A Haitian man approached some of us, visibily distraught. He asked if he could have this wooden box that we took the tent parts out of. We told him it wasn't ours and we asked why he needed it. He then told us his son had just died inside and he needed something to bury his child in. Heartbroken, I wish I didn't understand what he said. I wish that this disease had never reached Haiti.
I know out of this, God's got big things. It's hard to see your family hurt. If there's something I learned, it's what it looks like to trust God, to live with a confidence in his power and wisdom.
My travels to the states were far more eventful than I wanted but I'm here. I'm not exactly sure how I really feel at this point. It's a struggle to realize that I have to love the Americans as much as I love the Haitians. It's so easy to get annoyed by the American culture, even the American church. Just trying to figure out how to condition my heart to be one of joy, even if that isn't how I feel.

Comments

Popular Posts