Far West

This weekend we traveled out to the campuses in the Far West. We stopped over in Beauchamp to see the campus there. We were eating lunch and someone tapped me on my shoulder. I looked over and it was Fritzson! I was so excited to see him doing well and thriving in life. From there, we went to the orphanage. It was great to see all the kids and spend some time with them.  They all grow up so quickly.

We overnighted in La Baie. All the kids that graduated from the baby orphanage live there now. I got to spend twenty four hours with Kenny, who is so precious. I love his heart and his attitude. We took the kids to church. The church there is so much more relaxed. Haitian church has a certain structure, but this church was so goofy and really looked like they were enjoying themselves. One of the kids, Magdaly, busted out in this dance during the service.

Today, some of us ventured into the market to get some drinks. We spent some time wandering through the market and talking with people. We stopped at this store and this guy spoke to me. I politely responded and he  told me he remembered me. He went on to say that last summer, Hannah and I had visited him while he was in the local jail. He talked about how he got out of jail, got back on track, and is staying out of trouble. It was so neat to run into him and follow up, a year later.

This is Haiti Moment: We are at the beach in La Baie and a girl stepped on a sea urchin, which happens often. When we got back to the mission, I went with her and the nursing intern to the urgent care room. The Haitians nurses tried turning the lights on, but they didn't work.  They had to use a flashlight instead.  Instead of tweezers, they sterilized a safety pin to extract the sea urchin spikes. They successfully got all of them out, just maybe not the American way.

A friend is trying to raise money for his birthday to build a house for two boys. Niason and Jim are young boys that I have grown to love. Here's the link, watch the video and get a perspective for the house that their family of 10+ currently lives in. http://www.crowdrise.com/bdayhome

Please be praying for transitions, as they are happening.

Comments

  1. It sounds like you have been very busy since arriving in Haiti - traveling to the different campuses and reconnecting with old friends. I'm sure the kids at the Miriam Center especially Gilbert, as well as so many other people, were so happy to see you. How is Natalie, oh Natalie, and all her abounding energy?

    It's so cool that the man from the jail spoke to you. You never know when seeds may be planted.

    When I read you had visited House of Hope my thoughts immediately turned to my little friend. I was so glad to read on and see that she is doing well.

    Praying for you, the people of Haiti and NWHCM. Love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts