He who began a good work....

"And I am confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ."

Philippians 1:6

We headed off to the prison like any other Thursday, ready to spend time studying the gospel with our friends. As we started visiting with the women, one of our dear friends approached the front of the cell. Tears streamed down her face as she told us they planned to transfer her to another prison far away. She was nervous and knew nothing except that she wasn't staying here. When I was planning for Bible study, I had stumbled across this verse, not sure why but felt like I was supposed to share it that day. After those initial moments, I realized exactly why God had placed that on my heart.

.....and I am confident of this...

My friend has been in prison for such a long time, with little chance of ever being released. While in prison, she's come to know Christ. Over the past few years, I've watched women come and go from the prison; many changed because of God working through her. I've seen her mentor young girls and speak life into women who were hopeless. She's spent days, weeks, and months praying over one specific woman. This woman had been a voodoo witch door. Despite the fear that many had, she spoke boldly with this woman. She let God work through her. Today, that woman chooses Christ over the things she used to serve and honor. She's encouraged prisoners and guards alike in such a beautiful way.

.....that he who began a good work in you....

As we talked about that passage, we encouraged her that Christ wasn't done working in and through her. Her ministry would continue on regardless of what prison she might be at. During our time together, she came to realize that God had equipped her to mentor these women so that she could go on to disciple others. And these women could go on to disciple and encourage other women.

.....will bring it to completion.......

My heart is overwhelmed when I think about the example she has set. To share the gospel with all those around her. The way those ladies hunger for the word is something I desire to have. My heart was convicted because Christ calls us to the ends of the earth. How many times have I let the little things distract me from what Christ is trying to do? How many times have I let my own pride get in the way?  How many times have I taken for granted all the access I have to the gospel? While so many of my friends long to have a copy of the gospel in their homes but don't have the means to have it.

Comments

Popular Posts