Pray without ceasing

There are few sounds more beautiful than all of the kids circled up in the courtyard worshipping God together.

A few weeks ago, the kids received heartbreaking news about one of their dear friends. But instead of doubting God or questioning him, I watched as the older ones gathered all of the kids together. They spent the next few hours praising God and asking that he would intercede. The kids prayed boldly and without hesitation. In unison, they belted out this song that states “when I realize who my God is….” and they filled in the verses. When I realize who my God is, I know he heals sicknesses. When I realize who my God is, I know he gives life and breath. When I realize who my God is, I know he has power over death. When I realize who my God is, Satan doesn’t have a chance. When I realize who my God is, I have peace.

And when they ended for the night, I remember one of the older boys telling the rest of the kids, it’s not “if” God does it; it’s “when” God does it. Since that night, they’ve met together 3 times daily. Their friend has started to get better and stronger. 

I have watched God us them to encourage and challenge our family and the community around them. They’ve prayed over their friend and they’ve prayed for his family. The older boys and girls led devotions and Bible study with his family and friends. One evening, I walked into his room to visit and noticed the girls circled together. The oldest one had all of the others praying through Psalm 46 over their friend, that he would find peace to sleep that night. And while it’s been a journey of emotions, each time they gather I’m reminded of this verse:

                                    Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances.
                                                            1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Over these past few weeks and journeying alongside the kids, my own heart has really been challenged about the way I pray. Do I pray in confidence or do I ask full of doubt, not leaving any room for God to work? Do I pray in all things, good or bad? In times of difficulty, do I thank God for his guidance through that tough situation or season?

Comments

Popular Posts