Boy With the Orange Shirt

When I first moved here, anytime I went to the market, this one little boy would follow me the whole time.  He would always want to hold my hand or be extremely close, neither of which I liked.  I would get easily frustrated or annoyed, sometimes trying to avoid him finding us in the market.  But after a few times, God really convicted my heart about this little boy. Maybe he just needed someone to pay attention to him, maybe he just wanted someone to take time to care about him?

I started to get to know him more. He would help us as we bought things or if I had a team with me.  Whenever I’d leave the market, he would walk all the way back to the bottom of the mountain with me.  The more I learned about this little boy, the more I realized, he just needed someone. Someone to acknowledge him, to spend time with him, to tell him he was valuable.

He’s spent many days going far from his home to help us with grocery ministry, but never asking for anything. I always knew he lived in a certain part of town, but I never knew exactly where he lived.  Last week, it was pouring rain; yet, the team still wanted to head out and do grocery ministry.  As we approached the first stand in the market, here came my friend in a bright orange shirt. Despite that it was raining and muddy, he was still right beside us to help us.  As we finished and headed out of the market, he grabbed the hand of a team member. We all stopped and talked and he was right there with us.  The team was discussing where they wanted to go, when it was decided, we should go to his house.  I looked at him and said, take us to your house.  Very confused but excited that we were coming to visit, he weaved us through the market and onto the beach.  The storms had been so rough last week that the ocean had washed much of the beach away. The water had risen and flooded their house at times.

When we got to his house, he stood so proudly in the front door with his aunt, grandma, and older brothers. It was such a blessing to get to visit his home. We talked with his family, who said that he was the only one who went to church. We had an opportunity to pray over his family, his home, and him. As we walked away, he came with us and led us to other homes of families in need, even in the pouring rain. 

Standing by his house, I was overcome with the realization that my joy is circumstantial.  Here was this little boy, who was smiling and laughing.  As I watched the tide come in and realized how close it got to his house, or the leaking roof, or that he’s openly said he doesn’t eat everyday. I've heard the names that people call him as he walks the streets or the way they treat him; yet, I’ve never seen him without a smile on his face.



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this story,Caitlin! Who knows the impact you have made in his life just by loving on him. Praying God uses this to do even bigger things in his family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story,Caitlin! Praying God uses this to move mightily in his family!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts