Another chance

(happened in January; however, just got uploaded)

Last Sunday, I sat in church behind several of my friends from the brothel. It was their first time and they were so worried that everyone was watching them. Despite their fears and their worries, I just kept praying that Christ would reveal himself to them. That our human flesh and failures wouldn't deter them from all that Christ is.  At the end of church, I watched as five of them went to speak with the pastor. They had decided that they wanted Christ. They had searched long enough elsewhere and kept coming up empty. Christ was at work in their hearts and it's been a beautiful journey to watch.

Fast forward to Tuesday...
I sat with two Haitian women who have joined us in brothel ministry. We reflected over the past year and where we felt God was leading us this year. I asked them to share ways that we could be praying and encouraging each other more intentionally this year. One said that she would have the courage and strength to boldly proclaim the gospel. The other women asked that we pray she would continue to have a hunger for God.  I'm so humbled and honored to serve alongside such incredible women. They easily could have asked for prayer for food, for roofs that don't leak, for their kid's schooling needs, or any other tangible need that they have in their home, but they didn't. After our time of reflection, they wanted to sit with the girls and discuss the same things. They wanted to reflect on where God had led us and where God was still leading us. And as we sat and talked about the future with the girls at Bible study, one of the girls decided she had something she really needed to share. She stood up and stated that she was leaving. She couldn't do this life anymore, it wasn't what God wanted for her, it wasn't safe for her. She had finally saved enough money from the jewelry program that she could start a new life elsewhere. My heart was overjoyed for her. Sure, I'll miss my dear friend. But I'm so excited for her potential, for her realizing that she was made for so much more than having to sell herself....

I love that before she left, they prayed over her. I love that she goes out equipped with the gospel, to start her new home on a new foundation--found in Christ alone.

I love that her boldness encouraged another girl to step out in faith. Our other friend realized that living in that situation wasn't good for her kids or herself. She realized that she had another chance. She reconciled with her family and she's moving home. To a home I know that loves Jesus, to a home that I know she and her children will be safe.

I can only imagine the fear and uncertainty that they're both facing. A new start, in a new place, trying to move forward from the nightmare of the past few years..... yet, trying to remain confident in their decisions and in their new found faith.

......praying that they can continue to cling to Christ, that their hope is built on the firm foundation of who Christ is, that in their new starts they find people who come alongside to encourage them and strengthen their faith.

Comments

Popular Posts