New Years Trip

It was so great to be back in Haiti, even if it was only 10 days. It was even better to be able to share my passion with one of my closest friends. The kids didn't know I was coming back so it was a fun time surprising time. The first day we just spent some time on campus. We hung out in the baby orphanage, where I got to spend time with Kenny and Presley and Chrissie quickly became attached to Wilgens. It felt strange being in there at first because Isaiah had died from Cholera and the atmosphere was different. Presley is no longer a chunk because he got very sick and lost a bit of weight. I introduced Chrissie to my kids in the nutrition program. The kids loved her and were so excited that "my sister" was there. My dear friend Wanda even brought Chrissie this really nice bracelet she made.

We traveled to House of Hope another day. I was so excited to see Marco (see House of Hope post from July). When we got there, I looked everywhere for him and asked several kids where he was. One of them informed me Marco was gone. At first, I was devastated. I realized it was great that he got to go home to his family, or better yet, that his family wanted him back. We had a great time singing, dancing, and playing with the kids. We went to Tortuga with one of the groups and had the largest, most intense game of duck duck goose ever. Probably like 150 people playing. We also made the trip to Ansefoleur and did a vbs. We visited the temple, which was extremely quiet.

One of the days we went to the brothel and delivered groceries. We hiked back up behind the mission and the first house we chose to go to ended up being Moleon's! (he's the security guard who became a dear friend to me) The second house we stopped at was Adnot's. Adnot used to work for the mission but he got in some serious trouble. He skipped town so they put both his parents in prison until they could find him. Over the summer, I had taken a group to the local jail and we ended up seeing him there. It was crazy because I didn't even recognize him this time. Another day, I traveled to the Port de Paix prison with Melonnie and Chrissie hung out with the babies all day. I delivered cards that the kids back home had made to the prisoners. They all clapped, some cried, they said they were praying for those kids, and that they even wanted to write back. It was so cool.

Our travels home were not quite as uneventful. Our flight got canceled into Raleigh so we had to try to find another flight. We told the rebooking lady to get us as close to Viriginia, or in it, if possible. We saw there was a flight headed to Dulles at 8pm so we tried to get on that one. The lady told us DC wasn't near VA and she wouldn't book us until we confirmed it with our parents, I mean we are only 19 and 20 years old. We finally got on that flight after worrying all day that we wouldn't make it. We ended up back at home in 3am.

Comments

Popular Posts