Comfort Zones

I had applied back in the fall to head back to Haiti. A few weeks ago, I got my answer but to be honest, it wasn't what I had planned on. I'm pretty sure I should just throw the word 'plan' out of my vocabulary because we all know how that goes.

I was apprehensive, nervous. I didn’t like the thought of something new. Yet, I felt like it was something I was supposed to do.

I became comfortable in a third world country. I didn’t even think that was possible, but it is. There were things I was comfortable with; I knew what to say or do. I had friends who turned into family. I didn't stretch myself.

While I struggled with my decision, a friend sent this to me “Live begins where your comfort zone ends.” That was the LAST thing I wanted to hear, but it was exactly what I needed to. I went home for a visit not too long after I made my decision. I was talking to a man at church who had absolutely no idea about the situation. He said you've got to be open, you can't let yourself become comfortable.

All of this to say, I’m headed back to Haiti. But it’s something new, something different. It will be a challenge, but I know it’s where I’m supposed to be. I will be working in the Mole, which is a fairly new campus for NWHCM. It ministries to all the surrounding villages, it’s the very tip of the island.

New people, new places, new ministries, new opportunities. GROWTH. I’ll be stretched. God's placed an incredible opportunity and responsibility in my life for this summer. Some of the people I will meet and talk to will have never heard the name of Jesus, or even seen a white person before.

With this opportunity comes the responsibility of support raising. To be totally honest, support raising can be either one of the most encouraging times or discouraging times. You can become totally frustrated and overwhelmed, and in the midst of it all, God still proves himself faithful.

Comments

Popular Posts