Unexpected adventure

Sunday after church, I headed out with a group to visit Tortuga. The usually hour long boat ride turned into two and half hours. The seas grew rougher and the sky got darker. When we landed, I knew something wasn't right. Magdala, our campus director, happened to be over at the church there. She told me we would have to spend the night. It was too rough, we couldn't go back.

What followed, I don't think I have the right words to portray.

The community welcomed us in and looked after us. Before we even landed, the women from the church already started arranging things for us. They already had found enough spaghetti noodles to cook us dinner. People from the church brought their mats, their sheets, their pillows, and their living room rugs for us to sleep on. They brought all their dishes so we had something to eat on. They opened their homes for us without hesitation. They invited us into their church, in our filthy clothes, and treated us as honored guests. We were expecting to sleep on the floor in the school; yet, they gave us their very best. We were so undeserving of such treatment. I was reminded of Hebrews 13 were it says don't forget to show hospitality to strangers. They extended so much more than their mere possessions, they extended the love of Christ that some in our group had never experienced.

The next morning, we weren't sure if we would leave, but we prayed "God clear the sky and calm the sea." Twenty minutes later, we were loading the boat and headed towards another town. But God had other plans. Every time the boat turned to head east, the seas always moved it back west. We arrived in St Louis despite the captain steering the boat to another town.  As the waves grew around the boat, I was reminded God created them and they obey him, I only need to be still. I had to recognize that The Lord was in total control, that he was sovereign over the seas too.

That unexpected adventure turned into a huge blessing. That night I got to see the gospel lived out; I saw the church leave the building an actually be what it's called to be. I was completely humbled and my heart overflowed with gratitude.  That night was incredible and one that won't be forgotten.  The hospitality shown was one I've never experienced, but not unusual for Haitians.

Comments

Popular Posts