Love Overcame

Easter morning, as we gathered to celebrate that Jesus had conquered death, I realized that I often forget what that truly means and fall into the traditions.  But I quickly regained perspective. Getting dressed for church, I heard a knock on my door. I opened the door and Miranda was standing there. Miranda is a brothel girl who's been coming to our jewelry program.  As we headed over to the church, I was reminded that love overcame. While we sat waiting for church to start, I could tell she was uncomfortable, a bit uneasy.  She was watching to see people's reactions to the prostitute seating in the church pew.  Her fear and anxiety was erased as girls from the orphanage piled in the pew around us.  They squeezed in next to her and played with her hair. They loved her, knowing exactly who she was. 

The entire service I could tell that God was leading my heart into something. I kept looking around the pew noticing everyone seating near us.  As I saw orphans, prostitutes, and street kids worshiping the Lord, I couldn't help but think that this is what Easter is about.  Jesus died to overcome things of this world. Love conquered death and cultural norms.  Love overcame our brokenness and made us whole. I felt God whispering to me, "my kingdom come, my will be done, in Haiti as it is in Heaven." His kingdom, his will not ours.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts