Home

I had an adventurous last two days prior to leaving. We weren't supposed to be leaving until late afternoon and at 12, we were told to get on the truck because the plane was already waiting for us in Port de Paix. I'm kind of glad that the goodbyes were very rushed and not prolonged. It was tough enough that way, I can't even imagine if we had waited a few more hours. We stayed at this hotel in Port au Prince so that we could make our flights to Miami. It was very gut wrenching driving through the tent cities. To most people, those tent cities are just pictures but for me, I can put a name, a face, and a story with those tents. I have friends whose families still live there. It's so frustrating that there is very little progress. What happened to everyone wanting to support Haiti and help rebuild? I know some work has been done but it really doesn't look like much. We had to leave for the airport at 5 am. Our flights weren't until 9 but it takes about 3 hours to get in. It was shockingly very organized, very unHaiti like. We even left EARLY. I don't think you can even understand that statement unless you have been to Haiti. We were always happy if our trucks showed up at leaving time, let alone actually leave on time.

It's so weird being home. It's nice to get a break because being in Haiti for long periods of time can be frustrating. But let's be honest, I've had my fix of Americans and would totally get back on a plane to Haiti. Church was so hard today. It just feels wrong and weird. Not saying that the way my church is is wrong but that I just felt so out of place. I miss the people so badly already. I know the transition will be far from easy but I also know that I won't forget the people and things I experienced. My heart is definitely not here in America. My prayer has been that God would take the longing to joy and to know that those kids haven't stopped since I left and that they will continue to grow. I just pray that another America will fall in love with the crazy, chaotic mess that is called the nutrition program. If there is one thing I know for sure, I'm definitely not done with Haiti. I'll be back when I'm supposed to. I hated the fact that I couldn't tell the kids a general time frame of when I would be back. I find my joy in knowing that we are all praying for each other. When I left, the kids all said "M'ap sonje ou. M'ap priye pou ou chak jou." (I will miss you and I will be praying for you everyday). I know prayer changes things and I have faith that these kids can very easily be the ones that God uses to change Haiti and even the world.

Comments

Popular Posts