Making a difference

The past few days, I have been wondering if I really make an impact. I wondered if the relationships formed in a short time meant much. But today, I was reminded that they do. We got back to the mole last evening. We were walking this morning and we turned a corner to see Katie smiling and waving. It was great to see her. We continued walking and I heard a kid yelling "evender, Caitlin's back!" it was cool to see that in such a short time, we can really form relationships that go beyond what we can see. I didn't know they even really knew my name, but they did. It's great being back here and seeing everyone again. We spent some time at the orphanage, boy have I missed those children!

Fun moment from today:
We were walking past the Pastor's house and his wife was holding her sewing class. We stopped and chatted for a few minutes. Madam Pastor looked at me and said "Do you spend a lot of time in St. Louis?" I said yes, the past two summers and a few short trips. She replied, yeah, I can tell by your Creole accent.
It's so interesting to hear how so many speak Creole differently. It's very much like the accents we have in the states. The Mole speaks much more proper, French like Creole. In St. Louis, they speak more slang and contracted form.

Comments

Popular Posts