3 hour church service

Nothing says awesome like 3 hours of just worshiping God. The Haitian pastor stood up and in very broken English said "Welcome. I know you don't understand our service but we are all worshiping the same God and God is above all cultures." What a great reminder that these physical barriers mean nothing to God. Worship is worship. I feel like at home it's so easy to go through the motions and not really give everything to God. It's impossible to sit in church down here and not feel God's presence. I hope that I can develop that passion and desire to not make worship a mundane process but a true delight and honor.

Some people already asked me about John and Wisley (by the way, they are probably 11 or 12). They did come to church today and they sat through the entire thing. They even sang and did the thanksgiving sayings (they shout Mesi Jezi, Baye Salle Tener (I can't spell), Alleulia). It warms my heart to think that maybe all the time spent together might change their paths. I pray it does change their paths or at least make them question.

Every night we do family sharing time with the groups so they can tell everyone else what they did or experienced or saw God do that day. It's a great reminder of why I love being here and how I can better serve the people. Hearing other's experiences helps us not to grow hardened to the things we see. I feel like at times, I'm being served rather than serving. It's hard but I know God's just trying to teach me to love like they do or have that servant's heart.

Funny side note: One of the intern's Susan, just went home--she was here from January until June). Apparently we look alike and we became friends were quickly. She tried to play a prank on me but luckily I'm a light sleeper so I heard her come into the dorm. After she left, Melonnie (her mother) told me that she had planned to sew me to my sheets.

Comments

Popular Posts