Eventful Day

I woke up at midnight to someone poking me. I seriously yelled What the Heck and put my flashlight straight in their face. I mean, when the dorm is pitch black and you have no idea who, what, why there is something touching you, you are gonna freak out. Turns out, it was just Michelle, another intern, who got lost trying to get to the bathroom. She obviously hadn't made it very far since my bed is right next to hers and farther from the door.

At 2am, we had another earthquake. They happen all the time during the day, we just can't feel them unless we are standing completely still. All of us staff took off running like mad people into the courtyard and 5 minutes later, the group finally makes an appearance. They showed up with water bottles, journals, and luggage. Seriously? We politely told them, they would die if they acted like that. My heart literally breaks when these happen. I don't know if you have ever had that feeling but it is so terrible. My heart just hurts so badly for these people. Can you imagine what it's like for them?

When the group left for Tortuga today, the staff that so wisely chose not to get on a Jesus boat while we have a tropical something or other. We went to the big market at the river. It's a thirty minute walk so we got taxis. Incase you don't know, a taxi is a a moto that drives crazily and without any concern for others down Haitian "streets". (Sorry mom and Grandma). It was so much fun until all the taxis decided to race. We got fresh fruit from the market and then went to the bakery. The baker showed us his hand rolling technique and his brick oven. It was so cool and the bread is beyond delicious. We got taxis to go back too. Mine wasn't into the whole speed thing as much as he was into blaring his speakers. Nothing says fun times like your big Haitian driver belting out Beyonce. There is a massive hill we have to climb to the mission. My driver veered the opposite direction of everyone elses and I immediately started hitting him and yelling "Ou bezwen ale a mission". His reply was "Mwen konnan". Clearly, he didn't know though. I made it back safely to mission.

Comments

  1. I love reading your blog Caitlin! I could, however, use a translation of the language now and again - ie "ou bezwen ale a mission" and 'mwen konnan" mean what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You need go to the mission"
    "I know"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts