Good times

I took a group to House of Hope. It was tons of fun and the kids are totally awesome there. I made the group go with me to the store. The boys had been drinking these sport shakes so I wanted to try one. I found a vanilla, it's the closet thing to a milk shake or ice cream here. It was so awesome. Does anyone know if we have those in the U.S.? Also, does anyone know where or if Tampicos are sold?

The military is everywhere. We were leaving to go to the House of Hope and it took us 30 minutes to get through a road block. I'm still not sure why a road block with spikes and loaded guns is necessary when you are doing a clinic is a completely sealed off in a Catholic church. Some of the Marines even thought the whole thing was silly. The entire town square was packed with Haitians trying to get into the clinic or trying to figure out what's going on. I was hanging out with my kids and there were military vehicles in the courtyard. They kept calling it parrot poop because they means camoflague in Creole. They also were running around saying "Li mache, li bang bang bang, Ayitians mouri, Li pa bon"-- They walk, they shoot, Haitians die, they are no good. It's so interesting to hear their perspective and to watch it from their view. I totally understand why they feel the way they do.

I was walking with the kids today and one of them said When are you going to America? I said Saturday. He asked when I was coming back, I replied I don't know but soon. He used a Haitian saying for what the heck and stormed off. I really don't want them to feel like I'm abandoning them or never returning because I definitely will be back.

Comments

Popular Posts