One week

I hate the fact that I'm leaving soon. The kids in the nutrition program reminded me that I was leaving too soon. Ivenor said he was going to have me locked up so I couldn't leave and one of the girls would come feed me. One of the security guards that I made good friends with said I wasn't allowed to leave because who would feed him on the day trips.

I spent the morning with the kids. Denise, one of the girls, gave me her painting so that way I could remember her. It was nice just to spend time with them and to show the groups why I love those kids so much. It's kinda funny because I took the group down a few minutes early, so all the kids were still eating or trying to get their food. They were climbing everywhere acting like savages and two seconds later, they are the sweetest kids ever ready to listen to a Bible story. This afternoon was not so awesome. I helped a group with their vbs which was great until they started handing out granola bars to the kids and giving some kids 2 and others just 1. Can we say riot?


Since I do only have a week left, I've just been feeling like I really don't want to leave. I love the Haitians and think so highly of them. The worst part about Haiti is the Americans. Totally sucks because when I leave, I get to go back to a country full of them. Not to be rude or condescending but when you watch them disrespect the very people they came to serve or just have that American attitude, it's so discouraging to the ministry. Sometimes, I truly think that so many Americans here at one time has a reverse effect. I apologize if this offends you but it's how not only I, but several of the interns feel. There is a certain attitude that because we are American, we can just fix everyone's problems. Personally, I think they could fix ours a lot easier than we could fix theirs. If we resorted to simple living and true faith, how awesome could our lives and relationship with God be? We let material things bind us from truly giving absolutely everything to God. How often is it that we really have to depend on God to provide food or water or medicine or a roof to sleep under? We'd all be lying if we said we 100% did that.

Comments

  1. Praying that your transition back to the states is as easy as possible for you. . .and for the Haitians who have come to know and love you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts