When it rains, it pours.

Seriously, we had the craziest storm I have ever seen. I almost peed myself I was so scared because in case you didn't know, I despise storms--rain is okay, but the whole thunder AND lightning, that's completely unnecessary. It rained so hard that walking into the girls dorm, the water was almost up to my knees. So what do summer interns do? We go get the trash buckets from the bathroom and start bailing water over the outside wall. There is one drain for the entire girls side--which is quite large. It's in front of Katelyn's and Eveline's rooms so their stuff was started to get soaked. We bailed like it's nobodies business and got all of the water gone.

I went to Ansefoleur today. We didn't pass out food to the kids because it's so important that they know to turn to God and not the white people for their needs. The kids were super calm, which never happens--last time they broke the church door off. We did give them lollipops but only after they carried a decent discussion about being happy and sad. One kid said old people make him sad. Another said when the cat eats his food and he gets very angry. I was leading the group up to the monument when I hear running and Sermone yelling my name. I turn around to see this crazy looking dude chasing me. They just ended their voodoo celebration and he was angry we didn't pay him before we went up. We never pay and no one was even home when we got up there. We went into the temple where the guards were very friendly. They took us into all of these side room and the holy water pond. Never, never, never does that happen. The holy water is this swamp, stagnant water that I'm sure just looking at it gives you diseases. Some of the kids are starting to recognize me which gives me hope that maybe all these trips there are paying off in some sense.

Another intern Caitlin, plays college soccer so she has these crazy workouts to do while she is here. Wislene, a translator, came and asked me if I would do teamwork exercises with her. My thought: Sure, why not? Yeah, I show up and it's Caitlin's workout. I got tricked and now I'm super sore but it was very entertaining watching Wislene do them since Haitians don't do workouts. They do plenty of manual labor without that stuff.

Comments

Popular Posts