PdP

Since the group went to Tortuga and I obviously opted out because last time I got my motion sickness fix, I was just going to be on campus by myself all day. I asked Melonnie if I could join her. She was going into Port de Paix (PdP) to do prison and brothel ministry. The prison was on top of a mountain with the most gorgeous view of the ocean on one side and the city on the other. I knew the prison was a less than decent place.

We walked in and talked with the guards. They though we were bringing the prisoners cards to play with but we showed them how you can learn the Bible through a deck of cards and that's why we had them. We went cell to cell and Melonnie read from Is 40:28-31. Each time, Michelle, myself or Katelyn would pray for the men. Imagine these tiny cells with 50 grown men, 1 bunk bed, no toliet or bucket, and everyone not being able to sit down at the same time. These cells were packed. For being in a prison, these men were very well mannered and nice. Not the people you expect to be in prison. The men were very open to what we had to say. Some of them gave us stuff for us to sell at the market. We ended with the women. There was only a dozen or so. Two of them were crying and saying they wanted to get baptized. We talked to the guards and they are going to let us do baptisms. Several women and over 75 men. These prisoners hold their own Bible studies and do worship. It's so crazy and awesome.

The brothel was not what I expected. I was thinking this run down shack with underclothed women. Not so much. It was the very nice and fancy loft and the women were dressed very nice. The owner asked Melonnie to do a Bible study with the women so she takes them cookies and is studying the book of John with them. They are more hesitant than the prisoners but I know that they will open up with time.

We also went to Vigo Plaza today. It's pretty much like going to a run down Food lion. I got some Dr. Pepper and this watermelon drink. I got a bunch for $4 American dollars. It really was the kind of day we all needed after the past few.

Walensky is still fighting and holding on. I hope his mom makes it to the mission to say goodbye before he passes away.

Comments

Popular Posts