Thunder or Earthquake?




The storm was so bad last night that several times we all sat up and asked whether it was thunder or earthquake. We got to sleep in until 7 today. So thankful. The morning was spent in the nutrition program. I thought about how if I thought about it sooner than now, I would have loved to started a real Bible study with the moms. It obviously would not deal with parenting but more about trusting God and serving God and being examples for their kids, most of them are young moms with multiple kids. I also was thinking about how it would be awesome to come back and establish a program that makes those moms feel worth and value as well as help them figure out ways to be self sustaining and not dependent upon someone else to feed their kids. I'm not saying any of these moms are lazy. Jobs are hard to come by and mostly for men. These are totally just thoughts but I feel like any time spent with them would be beneficial. They don't have any true structure and the kids just kinda run around while they are here. We could be spending time with these preschool aged kids and just doing instructional stuff with them. Teaching them to listen to simple instructions or teaching them basic concepts, numbers, letters, I really don't know but something would be better than their kids just sitting around all day.

Pictures:
1. the boys making "funny faces"--I clearly don't understand that part of Haitian culture.
2. more of the boys playing with bubbles
3. Meet Denise-- she has been a big blessing to me personally. She is 11.She has 6 sisters (all younger than her) and 4 brothers (all older but 1). She had 6 other siblings who all died in the earthquake. Her mom works at the mission. All of her siblings are in the nutrition program. She is never sad and always has a smile. Can you imagine what life is like for her? I'm not sure if she has a father or whether her mom's income is her family's only. (In the picture, she poured water all over her face and folded her hand, again I don't understand that part of the culture)

Comments

Popular Posts