Nothing Compares

to Haitian church! I love love love it. That is one thing I will miss so much when I'm back in the states. So imagine an already packed church trying to fit 150 Americans inside it. On a normal Sunday, the late people have to sit in chairs outside so we really didn't have room today. Of course, Haitians being the type of people that they are, they were offering up their seats. I had a few minute stand off with one of our granmoun women. No way was I letting this 70 year old woman sit on the floor while I sat on a bench. She told me I was sitting there and I told her no. That conversation continued for awhile until all the Americans squished together so we could all fit. They were dancing and singing crazier than I have ever seen. I love it.

A huge container just arrived so we unpacked it. We didn't have to help but 3 trucks full of stuff for only a few Haitians to unload is just rude to me. I helped throw some boxes because gentle is not a word around here. Thank goodness it's Sunday, sometimes you just need a day to debrief. Some of the groups we have come in with the totally wrong attitude that they can fix Haiti in a week. If it was that easy, why would the mission have been here for 31 years? There's no quick fix to this situation. Every person makes some impact, even if it's just that one kid or that one house.

The pictures on the last post:
-boy with me is John (he came to church again today&stopped picking on the others!)
-boy on gate looking crazy is Wesley (he is character)
-boy posed is Wesley's brother
-the cute little boy is Naison-- I love this boy and his entire family. Sweetest kid ever except when he threw mangos at me on the roof one day

Comments

Popular Posts